Sunday, April 10, 2011

Strawberry Shortcakes for Dinner?

Tonight B and I had homemade strawberry shortcakes for dinner. That's right...for dinner. I made my own for the first time from the Test Kitchen cookbook and they were delicious! Don't worry, the kids ate a real dinner and had the shortcakes for dessert. We just weren't hungry enough for real food, so we opted for shortcakes instead.
I made these yummy shortcakes because we went on our annual strawberry picking trip to Marburger Orchard last week with Ah-Gong, Ah-Ma, and J. We pulled Elina out of school to go with us because it was her dream for all of us to go with her. It turned out to be a cold, windy day...reminiscent of our 2009 trip with KL. It wasn't quite that cold, but it got pretty chilly because of the wind. We weren't prepared because it was hot and humid in the morning so I had everyone in shorts. It was a good thing I brought some light jackets.
The wind was blowing so hard that sand would hit our faces. Sometimes it would look like a sandstorm was coming in. I would have to cover Evie's whole face with a blanket so that she wouldn't get sand in her eyes. It was a little too windy, but I would rather it be windy than hot, sunny, and humid while we picked strawberries.
The berries were smaller this time, but they were still just as sweet. We ended up bringing home about 24 pounds of strawberries! Everyone had fun picking berries. Look at all the hard workers!
But I think this one has to be the hardest worker of all, wouldn't you agree?

No comments: