Saturday, April 4, 2009

Strawberries

Last weekend we went strawberry picking at Marburger Orchard with KL and her family. This is the same place KT and I went to last year, so we were really excited to go. Elina was even more excited than us to go because she remembered having lots of fun at the orchard last year. She probably had visions of her and L running down the rows shoving strawberries into their little mouths.

It was really cold that morning. It was about 40 degrees with the wind chill. To us Texans, that’s COLD. KL’s husband didn’t believe that it would feel that cold, so he dressed in a short-sleeve shirt and long jeans. The people at the orchard took pity on him and lent him a jacket. Poor guy. We had the kids all bundled up and I was glad I brought Eli’s winter hat, too. The wind was bitter cold.

The orchard opened at 9am and we got there at 10:30am because it’s an hour away from us. I guess everyone had showed up early for the great strawberries. It was hard for us to find lots of bright, red strawberries. Last year, KT and I picked 15 pounds total (she picked 10 pounds and I picked about 5 pounds)! We were there for a long time and had lots to choose from. This time we barely made it over 4 pounds. How sad. The strawberries were still yummy, but we really had to look hard for them.

So with the cold weather and the slim pickings, it wasn’t as wonderful of an outing as I had hoped it would be. But we still managed to get delicious strawberries that we are still enjoying right now, so I guess we can’t complain too much.

(Side note: This picture of the 3 girls was actually the best picture I could get! I mean, seriously, L is the only one close to looking at the camera. All my pics of the girls together are terrible. Go figure.)

No comments: