Thursday, April 7, 2011

Late April Fool's Post

[I've gotten so caught up in Evie's 1st birthday stuff that I forgot to post some other things.]

Back in February, the kids watched this one Caillou episode about spring. In the show they talked about Valentine's Day, spring stuff, and April Fool's Day. Elina had never heard of April Fool's Day so she was intrigued. When she found out it was a holiday about jokes, she knew she had discovered her favorite holiday ever. She could not believe that there was a day completely dedicated to playing tricks on other people.

So, she started planning her tricks...IN FEBRUARY!!

Unfortunately, on April Fool's Day, both J and I got some sort of food poisoning so we were in no mood for jokes. J got it way worse than I did, but either way, jokes were not on the agenda for the day. We had to make it up to Elina so we did all our jokes on April 2nd instead....which was perfectly ok with Elina, just as long as she could trick a few of us.

Here were Elina's big jokes. For B, she had me pour hot water into his travel coffee mug instead of coffee. His real cup of coffee was waiting for him in the car. He took a swig of his "coffee" before he left the house and Elina shouted, "April Fool's!" B hadn't even really tasted the drink yet, but he told Elina that she got him good. She was so proud of herself.

Then for J, Elina had me use my cell phone to call the house phone. Then she stayed on my cell while I took the house phone up to J. I told J that Ah-Gong wanted to talk to her and then when J said, "Hello," Elina said, "ROAR!" Elina saw this in the Caillou episode and thought it was the funniest thing ever! Actually, J already knew something was up because on the caller ID she could see that my cell phone was calling the house phone, but I told her to play along. She was a good sport and laughed loudly when Elina roared.

And then Elina's joke for me was just calling me "Daddy" instead of "Mommy" a few times during the day. Now she just always says, "April Fool's!" whenever she says something wrong or something funny. Eli got into it too. He kept saying, "Can I do April Fool's?" So he would do something silly and yell, "April Fool's!" He still needs some practice...but I think we will be hearing this phrase for the rest of the year.

Honestly, I think Elina's already thinking about next year's tricks. And next year I promise to be more involved with this day because the kids really like it...it's just that the food poisoning thing hit at the wrong time. Next year, next year...

No comments: