Friday, May 9, 2008

Oh, Poo

In order to fully tell this story, I need to state some facts that might not be widely known.

  1. Purely breastfed babies have super-watery poo. I mean, it is not solid at all.

  2. The way babies sit inside front carriers everything in the diaper area is squished.

  3. All this equals a gigantic mess!

Today I decided to visit the children's consignment store. We went in the usual style--Elina walking and Eli in the front baby carrier (Eli loves being in a carrier). I didn't really find much, but I did see a toy I wanted to get for Elina's babydolls. I was so excited about getting this toy because it was marked down to $4!

So, I'm browsing the games section when all of a sudden, Eli starts to poo. Initially, I didn't even think anything of it. Then all of a sudden, I was living one of my worst nightmares. Eli's poo was coming out of his diaper...it was running down my shorts...and it was about to hit the store's floor! So I took my hand and I caught the runny poo and I tell Elina in a whispered urgent voice, "Elina, we need to get out of here now! Come on!" Elina sees the mess and follows suit.

We race out of the store and into the van. I just didn't want to get poo in the store because then I would have to actually explain to another human being what just happened--I'd have to stand there and explain with poo in my hands and on my shorts! So I successfully avoided that scenario and I spent the next 15 minutes cleaning Eli and myself up. We left right after and Eli wailed the whole ride home. All I kept thinking was, "I actually have poo under my fingernails!" I was so grossed out. I just wanted to get home.

We got home, I fed Eli, and put him down for a nap. Then Elina and I were playing and all of a sudden she asks, "Mommy, where's my baby's toy?" I had completely forgotten about the great toy I had wanted to buy. So sad. Hopefully, it's still there when we go next time.

I really wish there was a way to tell when your baby was going to go #2.

No comments: