Monday, May 26, 2008

Late Night TV

Ever since Eli was born, I have been catching up on movies and TV shows. When he was a newborn, I would watch a movie almost every night while I nursed him. Since I woke up several times at night, I would just watch one movie broken up into 1 hour segments. As a parent, I've learned to enjoy movies even if I don't complete them in one sitting (my sis, J, abhors this).

I actually looked forward to this nightly ritual because I was able to catch up on a lot of movies that I've missed out on ever since I got married. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. All those movies that your husband would watch when you were dating, but now that you're married he seems to nix all the romantic comedies, foreign films, and dramas. (Wait, is it just my husband??)

Some favorites that Eli and I have seen are:
1. 3:10 to Yuma (who knew we would love this Western?)
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. Stardust
4. Anna and the King (yes, I finally saw this 9 year old movie!)
5. The Kingdom
6. Monster's Ball

Besides being my movie buddy, Eli was my TV show buddy. (Can you tell we spent a lot of time on the couch because I was CONSTANTLY nursing him??) Eli watched all the seasons of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Brothers and Sisters" with me.

But once Eli turned 4 months old, he became more alert. Suddenly, he would turn his head to watch the TV screen. Or he would start smiling at me because he could see my face clearly in the glow of the television. After this happened for a few nights, I knew that our late-night dates were over. I guess all good things must come to an end.

So now the only time I can watch TV shows and movies is on my own time...after all the kids are in bed and all the chores are done. By then, it's hard to even stay awake.

It's not that I enjoy late-night feedings all that much, but I actually did look forward to sharing a movie or TV show with Eli. I still wake up once at night to feed Eli, but now I sit in the dark nodding off or watching the clock. How boring.

No comments: