Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy 29th Birthday, B!

We celebrated B's 29th birthday this past Monday. Now that we're older and have kids, our celebrations are getting simpler and simpler. I guess we save all that birthday energy for the kids' birthdays now.

On B's birthday I made a Chinese dish (ribs in a tomato brown sauce) and red velvet cupcakes from scratch. I know, I know....I JUST made red velvet cake for Easter! But it was the birthday boy's request, so I had to. He asked for red velvet cupcakes minus the red food coloring and minus the icing. Originally, I was doubtful they'd taste good, but they turned out really yummy. (Side note: Red velvet cake actually has a tint of pink in the brown if you don't add the 2 tablespoons of red food coloring.)

Elina is really into drawing these days, so she drew B a picture and I put it in a frame. She drew a picture of our family all holding hands. She had to get it just right. She must've drawn 2 or 3 versions before the final one. In each of the previous drafts, she either didn't draw everyone close enough to hold hands or she didn't leave enough room for all 4 members of the family.

I ended up getting B an electric blower for the front yard. B has been wanting one for a while now. He's always cursing the broom when he has to sweep up the grass after he mows the lawn. He already hates doing yardwork, so I figured this new shiny tool could make the chore a little more pleasant.

Elina sums up how great B is by always saying, "Daddy's the best!" He's the best chaser, the best thrower (she means, throwing kids up into the air--not throwing balls or javelins or anything like that), the best dancer. He's the best at a lot of things that Mommy is not. I think it's more that sometimes I just don't have the energy to chase or throw or dance anymore. So that's why "Daddy's the best." It's definitely more exciting and fun when Daddy's around! Thanks, B, for being such a great dad and husband!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude...when're you gonna start looking your age? B/t yours and wendy's genes, the way your kids look now is probably how they're gonna look in 20 years, only bigger.