Monday, August 4, 2008

I Think I Want to Climb Trees

Elina's now entering the stage where she is becoming braver and more reckless. It's not a bad thing since she's a kid, but sometimes it freaks me out a bit--only because I'm not used to it. She loves to jump off our stairs. She usually goes up 2 steps on our staircase and jumps from there. Now she does it from the 3rd step up. She always lands with a big boom and I wonder if she might land incorrectly and twist her ankle some time in the future.

When we were at playgroup, E told me that Elina was going up 4 steps and jumping down. She said that they all couldn't find Elina, but then they heard a big boom and saw her tumbling at the bottom of the stairs. They thought she had fallen, but she just picked herself right up and went back up for more. E told me all this because it was so out-of-the-ordinary for Elina.

Now whenever we're in the car and Elina sees big trees she says, "Maybe I want to climb that tree!" She's never ever said anything like that before. It used to be, "I might fall," or "I'm scared." So she's definitely getting braver.

She's even getting braver on the swing set. There's a pirate's ladder on it (we call it the ladder to nowhere) and it shakes and wobbles as you climb up. She was a little scared in the beginning, but after B helped her up a few times, she just goes right up now. And when she gets to the top of the ladder part, she wants to keep going. Even B, who is a daredevil, doesn't want her going that far up.

This footage shows her coming down the ladder. When she makes it to the bottom, you can see how big her smile is and how proud she is. It's really cute. (Oh, by the way, all those spots on Elina's face are stamps. We bought mini marker stamps and she went a little crazy with them on herself.)

No comments: