Friday, September 23, 2011

Field Trips Galore

This week Elina had 2 great field trips.

First we went to Aquarena Springs in San Marcos.  We just went last month with my cousins, but it's definitely worth another trip!  We went on the Wetlands Boardwalk this time to look at fish and turtles.  Then we went on the glass-bottom boat ride again.  This time we saw way more turtles and went over more of the springs.  The water is just beautiful.  We stopped in the aquarium to say hi to more sea creatures.  Then we went to the museum to learn more about our aquifer.  It was a long day, but lots of fun.


I even pulled Eli out of school to come on the field trip with us.  Actually, I kinda forced him to come.  Actually, I kinda had a "mom" moment and couldn't imagine him not coming with us.  See, Eli only goes to school from 9am-12pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Well, since the field trip was out of town we were going to be gone from 9am-2pm.  That meant that I had to put Eli in an extended day program for that day so that he could be at school until 2pm, when I could pick him up.  I was already set on letting him stay for the long day...I had him excited about eating lunch at school and I signed him up for a cooking class after that.  I was totally ok with it...but then the morning of the field trip, I started feeling nervous....like I was hyperventilating.  I couldn't believe that I wasn't comfortable with Eli being away from me for 5 straight hours!  He's never been gone from me for that long, unless it was with a family member.  I don't know what was wrong with me.  I was SO embarrassed about it!  It's just that he's so little and he can never fully tell me what goes on while he's away, so I was just nervous about it.  Lame, right??  I know!  In my head I knew he would be fine (maybe a little tired, but definitely fine), but I just couldn't stand it.  Even B said that I was losing my mind.

In the end it was fine because Eli wanted to go on the field trip and Elina really wanted him to go with us.  So..in the end, I felt better about my decision...but not about the freaking out part.  Embarrassing!

Ok, back to the field trips...

For the second field trip, we went to the Guadalupe Cultural Arts Center for the Viva Mi Cultura event celebrating the independence of Mexico.  The Guadalupe Dance Company presented dances from different states in Mexico all in full costume.  It was SO interesting and fun!  The dances were great and the kids were really into it.  Eli clapped the entire time and Evie was entranced by all the loud music.  Some of the kids were even invited up onto the stage to learn some of the dances.  Unfortunately, Elina was too shy to volunteer.  But it was still a fun time for all!
What a great week!

No comments: