Evalyn Li-Ping Kim
March 30, 2010 at 1:07pm
5 pounds 14 ounces
18.5 inches long
We have a new family member! Isn't she cute? She couldn't wait to join our family, so she decided to surprise us with her arrival 3 weeks early (she's obviously following in her big brother's footsteps). We really thought that we'd make it past 37 weeks this time. I wasn't feeling a thing and the baby was really active in my belly.
(The picture to the left is me right before we left for the hospital.) Evalyn arrived on Tuesday and the next day (Wednesday) was supposed to be my OB appointment with the final ultrasound to determine the weight of the baby. B and I were going to bring Elina with us so she could see the ultrasound. Then we had plans to tour the labor and delivery part of the hospital to see what the rooms were like. But, of course, Evalyn decided to come the day BEFORE we could do all this...oh well.
We have a new family member! Isn't she cute? She couldn't wait to join our family, so she decided to surprise us with her arrival 3 weeks early (she's obviously following in her big brother's footsteps). We really thought that we'd make it past 37 weeks this time. I wasn't feeling a thing and the baby was really active in my belly.
On March 30, I woke up at 5:30am and thought that I had peed in my pants. (I know this sounds gross, but when you're very pregnant--especially after your 1st baby--peeing in your pants a little is not atypical. Gross, but true.) Anyway, I changed my bottoms and went back to bed. Then at 6:00am, I woke up wet again! I couldn't believe I had peed in my pants twice! Yikes...was I a 3 year old potty training? I told B that it was weird, but didn't think anything of it. Then it happened a third time and I felt like something had to be wrong. I started thinking that I was probably leaking amniotic fluid, which meant that my water broke...but when this happened with Elina and Eli it always gushed out. So I couldn't be SURE that it was fluid. Plus, I wasn't feeling contractions or anything. It all felt weird, but I figured we should go into the hospital to make sure things were ok.
OF COURSE, on this particular Tuesday, B's department had a huge presentation to give in front of the Senior Vice President of Underwriting at 9am. This presentation was the only thing B had been working on at work for the past month. It was a huge deal........and I had to ask him to skip out on work to take me to the hospital. B really wanted to go to the presentation and he kept assuring me that I could go check into the hospital first and that he would be there no later than 10:15am (right after the meeting). But I was too worried about the labor and delivery to let him go. What if things progressed quickly? What if I had to endure hard contractions by myself? What if he didn't make it back in time? I just didn't want to risk it. Am I a bad wife, or what?
We checked into the hospital and they hooked me up to a monitor. (By this point I had started feeling little tiny contractions.) Because I was just laying in the hospital bed though, things started to slow down. I wasn't leaking anything and I wasn't really feeling any contractions. I kept looking at the clock as 9am drew near. I felt badly that nothing was really happening and B could've gone to the presentation after all. But B, being the good guy that he is, told me not to feel bad. Nonetheless, I felt like I needed to pop out a baby to justify B missing this huge presentation.
We chose not to use an epidural with this delivery, just like with Elina and Eli. Honestly, things didn't hurt THAT badly until about 8 centimeters. Before 8 cm, the pain is still manageable....I mean, it hurts, but I knew it would hurt WAY more, so to me it wasn't too awful. I think the hardest part of the labor was from 11am until delivery at 1:07pm. My OB barely made it to the delivery. She had clinic hours downtown, so it took her awhile to arrive. She said she was driving 95 miles per hour to get to me and she even forgot her wallet. Luckily, she didn't get pulled over and literally walked through the door right when it was time to push the baby out.
Once the baby was delivered and B cut the cord, the nurses placed the baby on my chest in a blanket and told me I could wipe her down. I've never experienced this before. With Elina and Eli, the nurses immediately took them away. It was so neat to see and feel the baby so soon. I
really enjoyed my experience at this hospital. The nurses were amazing, the food was yummy, and the facilities were wonderful. Besides the pain from delivery, it was a nice stay. Hahaha.
So, it took us awhile to come up with a suitable name for our baby. Everyone thought we were having a boy (from the way my belly looked and from the heart rate--all of which are inaccurate!), so we thought we were just going to use our boy name. We only had one boy name chosen, so it would've been easy. For girl names, we had been debating for weeks. I liked the name Edie and B liked the name Eva. We both didn't like each other's top name, so they were a
utomatically canceled out. The next name on our list was Emma and this was Elina's favorite name of the three. We were going to go with Emma, but then the nurse told me that for the last few weeks at the hospital, almost every other baby girl has been named Emma. Bummer. I've always liked the name Evelyn, but B thought it sounded too formal. I told him we could just nickname her Evie (which also rhymes with Edie), so he thought it was a little better. Then we looked up the name Evelyn and discovered that it could also be spelled Evalyn, which B liked better since it had the name "Eva" hidden in it. Soooooo...that's how we came up with our new baby girl's name. Who knew we'd have so much trouble?

Now we're all home and happy....tired, but happy. We're glad to have Evalyn join our little family. The kids are in love with her and look for her every morning. Elina is already making plans for Evalyn when she gets a little older...they're going to dress up together and paint each other's nails. Eli always asks to "hold" Evalyn and he wants to share everything with her. Even though I'm exhausted most days, so far things are pretty wonderful if you ask me.
We chose not to use an epidural with this delivery, just like with Elina and Eli. Honestly, things didn't hurt THAT badly until about 8 centimeters. Before 8 cm, the pain is still manageable....I mean, it hurts, but I knew it would hurt WAY more, so to me it wasn't too awful. I think the hardest part of the labor was from 11am until delivery at 1:07pm. My OB barely made it to the delivery. She had clinic hours downtown, so it took her awhile to arrive. She said she was driving 95 miles per hour to get to me and she even forgot her wallet. Luckily, she didn't get pulled over and literally walked through the door right when it was time to push the baby out.
Once the baby was delivered and B cut the cord, the nurses placed the baby on my chest in a blanket and told me I could wipe her down. I've never experienced this before. With Elina and Eli, the nurses immediately took them away. It was so neat to see and feel the baby so soon. I
So, it took us awhile to come up with a suitable name for our baby. Everyone thought we were having a boy (from the way my belly looked and from the heart rate--all of which are inaccurate!), so we thought we were just going to use our boy name. We only had one boy name chosen, so it would've been easy. For girl names, we had been debating for weeks. I liked the name Edie and B liked the name Eva. We both didn't like each other's top name, so they were a
Now we're all home and happy....tired, but happy. We're glad to have Evalyn join our little family. The kids are in love with her and look for her every morning. Elina is already making plans for Evalyn when she gets a little older...they're going to dress up together and paint each other's nails. Eli always asks to "hold" Evalyn and he wants to share everything with her. Even though I'm exhausted most days, so far things are pretty wonderful if you ask me.
No comments:
Post a Comment