Monday, April 5, 2010

Eggs and Jellybeans

Easter was not as extravagant or well-planned out this year since Evalyn surprised us with her arrival. Don't get me wrong, I already bought everything I needed...I just didn't get to use it all since I was unprepared for both a newborn and egg activities. Luckily, my parents and J were in town, so I had extra hands to make the holiday a little better than it could've been. (In the picture above, Elina and Eli are bunnies and Evie is a flower. I didn't realize she would be joining us for Easter or else I would've bought her a bunny headband, too.)

I bought this fancy egg decorating kit from Williams-Sonoma this year...lots of pretty stickers, tattoos, paints, and markers. The kids decorated a few and then Elina didn't want to do it anymore. I was bummed because they didn't use up a lot of the supplies that came with the kit. So J made a few and B and I each made one. I made a rule that everyone had to make one. B wasn't too happy because he wasn't really feeling any creative juices that day. (In the picture above, he is making his "mad" face.)
We'd been having egg hunts in the house all week long and on Easter Sunday we had a big one on the 1st floor of our house. The kids loved looking for the eggs. It's funny how bad Eli is at it. The egg literally has to be right in front of his face for him to even take notice! The kids loved the candy, necklaces, and rings in the eggs. Then during Eli's nap, Elina and B and I would take turns hiding eggs in the backyard. We did this a million times and I think Elina would've stayed out there forever doing this. The girl loves her egg hunts.


For the big Easter basket this year I was debating whether to do it as a scavenger hunt or as a jellybean trail (like last year). I figured since Eli is still so young, I'd opt for the jellybean trail. The kids LOVED picking up and eating all the jellybeans on the trail. But it got to the point where they were just hording the jellybeans in their little hands and when they finally got to the big Easter basket, they weren't even that excited about it. They saw the basket, said 'Yay!' and then went back to collect any leftover jellybeans on the floor...as they shoved more jellybeans into their mouths. So, basically, I could've just had them follow an aimless trail of jellybeans around the house and they would've been happy! How sad! So J and I brought the basket downstairs and the kids were just showing my parent the jellybeans--not the basket, but the jellybeans. Yikes. Who knew they were little jellybean fiends? (In the picture to the right, Eli's mouth is full of jellybeans.)


Dinner wasn't anything fancy, but we did have our jello eggs. J was in charge of them this year and they came out great. But I learned a few things: (1) lime jello (green) is not the flavor of choice for our family, (2) grape (purple) comes out looking like the Asian black thousand year old eggs but it tastes good, and (3) Island pineapple (yellow) is a yummy flavor!

Anyway, that's our Easter in a nutshell. Nothing too exciting, but still lots of fun for the kids. Thanks, J, for helping with the festivities. If you hadn't helped we would've probably done nothing.

1 comment:

Jen Yao said...

nooo problem! anything for those cute little kids!!