Sunday, October 26, 2008

Corny Costumes

This past weekend we attended a Trunk or Treat event. This is our third year attending the same Trunk or Treat with Elina. For the past 3 years we've been doing family costume themes with Elina...and now with Eli. The first year, we were the Wizard of Oz. Elina was a lion, I was Dorothy, and B was a scarecrow.
The second year, we did a jungle theme. Elina was a monkey, I was a tree, and B was a banana. This year Elina wanted to be a butterfly, so I went out and bought Eli a caterpillar costume. B and I had a real dilemma. What could we possibly be to complement our kids?? At first I thought we could all be insects. Then I could be a dragonfly or something pretty. But what "manly" insects are out there? I told B he could be a praying mantis. He suggested a cockroach. No thanks. The insect idea just didn't appeal to B. Then I thought one of us could be a leaf and the other could be a cocoon. But seriously, it all sounds hard to make and impossible to purchase. Then I got the idea that we could be part of the children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar! For those of you who don't keep up with children's book (why would you if you don't have kids?!?), it's a cute book by Eric Carle. It follows a small caterpillar as he eats through apples, strawberries, oranges, and a bunch of other things and finally turns into a butterfly. We just had to figure out which pieces of fruit would be easier to make. Of course we opted for the apple (me) and orange (B). We bought a red t-shirt and an orange t-shirt and stuffed them with pillows and poly-fill (which is incredibly uncomfortable). Then we added little accessories to make us more apple-y and orange-y. Here's the family photo--
Here are the kids up close since they looked adorable--
I know we are SO corny for wanting to do family themes for costumes, but we figure we might as well keep doing it until the kids get sick of us. We know the day will come when we aren't even allowed to go trick-or-treating with them. So for now we will be silly and dress up with the kids for as long as they'll have us.

3 comments:

Jen Yao said...

i still dont see me!

evil twin #2 said...

I LOVE the hungry little caterpillar! Great idea and very original. I doubt you'll run into many others.

Kimberli said...

I love the "through the years" costumes! So fun... I tried to pick a favorite... but couldn't. They are all great!