Saturday, August 13, 2011

Our 6 Year Old

This post is a little late since Elina's been 6 for over a month now, but with family and vacation, I just couldn't find the time...

So Elina is 6 now.  She's still a petite little thing (as our doctor says) as you can see from her stats--
Height: 42.25" (15th percentile)
Weight: 38 lbs (5th percentile)
She grew 1.25" from last year and gained a whole 2 pounds.  Like I said, petite.

Here are few things about Elina--
1. She is definitely inquisitive, like any other 6 year old.  Sometimes I think it's great that she can think of so many different questions...other times I can't believe that she can go on and on asking so MANY questions. Now the questions are more serious, more real...harder to field...harder to evade and ignore.  

2. She is silly, silly, silly!  She dances like she's from "Flashdance" and comes up with the funniest, weirdest storylines when she plays.
3. She is very loving and snuggly now.  She's always been standoffish when it comes to hugs and kisses, but now she's coming around.  I think it helps that she sees how snuggly Evie and Eli are so she wants to be more like them.  

4. She is still very helpful.  She keeps Eli and/or Evie entertained when I have my hands full.  She also helps keep Eli on track when they have to get ready in the mornings.  It is such a blessing to have another set of helpful hands around the house.  

5. She is definitely a stickler for rules.  Whenever someone wants to give her something to eat that I don't normally give her, she always wants to check with me.  She'll even have people text or call me to make sure it's ok.  She had another mom text me to ask if it was ok for her to eat a fruit roll-up (because Elina is prone to cavities I try to limit certain gummy, sticky foods).  She even questioned my dad when he wanted to give her ice cream.  She asked him, "Did Mommy say that it was ok?  Should we call her to ask?"  It's great that I know I can trust her.  

6. She is good at drawing.  She just completed an art camp (more on that later) and the instructor said that she really has an eye for drawing.  She has an art book and she's constantly drawing pictures from it.  I think it also helps that she can sit still for long periods of time and can focus on one thing.  This first drawing is the kiss-kiss fish from the Pout-Pout Fish book....she drew this while we were at lunch.
In this second one, she drew dogs from the art book that we have.
7. She loves to collect flowers, rocks, and shells.  
8. She is definitely a girly-girl who always needs to wear a skirt/dress and accessories.

Here is a list of Elina's current faves--
Foods: dumplings, miso soup, udon
Snack: Fruit by the Foot
Drink: Cherry Limeade from Sonic
Restaurant: Luby's
Clothing: dresses
Movie: "Happy Feet" and "Monsters Inc."
Show: Little Einsteins, Dinosaur Train
Animal: Mouse (or any other small, cute rodent--guinea pig, squirrel, chipmunk)
Activities: arts and crafts, piano
Books: The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne
Dinosaurs: Stegosaurus and Triceratops
Colors: silver, gold, pink ("in that order" she says)

Happy 6th Birthday, Elina!  You are growing up too quickly!  We love you!

No comments: