Saturday, July 23, 2011

Our Almost 16 Month Old

It's time to give an update on Evie since she's been up to a lot lately.  Here's a quick rundown of what she can do now--

1. She is getting better and better at walking each day.  Her arms are still raised up high (not quite as high as before), but she can walk farther without falling now.  She can even clap and hold things in her hands while she's walking.  She's started pivoting to change directions, and most of the time she's pretty successful at it.  But if she sees a change in flooring (ie. carpet to tile) she will stop at the line of demarcation, get on all fours, cross the line of demarcation, and then stand back up and continue to walk. Now that she walks better though, she is not a fan of being held or being in the stroller.

2. She knows how to smile when we pull out the camera.  We just discovered this at a restaurant and we really got some cute picture!  Check it out!

3. She pouts when she is upset.  I have no idea where she learned this from.  Do I unconsciously do this when the kids frustrate me?  She just furrows her eyebrows and pouts her lips.  It's so cute...but could be dangerous.

4. She knows her Jie Jie (Elina) and her Ge Ge (Eli) very well.  When I say either of their names, she goes over to the right sibling and pats them on the back a few times.  It's pretty adorable.

5. She loves her Gymboree play class.  She claps her hands a lot while we're there because she's just so happy.  Whenever Gymbo the clown comes around at the end, she's ready to give him a kiss goodbye.  The one thing she hates though is a lap ride. During the class, they usually have the kids sit on the parent's lap for a few songs and Evie absolutely abhors it.  She arches her back because she just wants to go exploring.  Oh well.  Talk about bonding time, right?
6. When she doesn't like to eat something, she covers her mouth with both hands to let you know how much she doesn't want to eat it.

7. She's slowly switching to 1 nap a day.  For some reason she started waking up later in the morning...which has led to later naps, which has led to a consolidation of the 2 naps.  Nice.

8. She's starting to really understand toys and how they work.  She knows how to maneuver around Eli's train table like a pro!  I couldn't believe that she even understood that Cranky the Crane has a magnet on one end...so she knows to get the cargo (that has a magnet on the top) and put it close to the crane magnet.  Evie's also starting to scribble on her own.  She enjoys spending time at the arts and crafts table with Eli and Elina.

It's funny because for a few days it was just B, me, and Evie in the house (while the older sibs were in Brownsville).  It was so different with just 1 kid..especially 1 kid who doesn't really converse yet.  The house was really quiet...eerily quiet.  I didn't have to field a million questions a day.  Errands were easier to run.  I could get out of the house super-quickly.  I also had a lot of free time during her one 2-3 hour nap.  Usually during Evie's naps, I do things with Elina and Eli...play games, do crafts...things that I can't focus on doing while trying to get Evie not to touch what we're doing.  But with the older kids gone, I could do a lot of MY OWN things...the things that I usually can't get to until all the kids are in bed at night.  This ME-TIME was such a wonderful luxury.  I didn't realize how good I had it back in the day when it was just me and Elina!

Even though life seemed easier with the older 2 away, I also realized I kinda like my hectic, sleepless life filled with incessant talking.  Without the other 2 around...it almost seemed....(dare I say it??)...BORING!  Plus, Evie was clinging to me like white on rice because she didn't have 2 other kids in the house to entertain her.  It was very, very exhausting being the only form of entertainment around!

I'm glad to have all 3 kids at home now. I'm back to my hectic, sleepless life filled with incessant talking...but I really wouldn't have it any other way.  Who wants to accomplish lots of things in a day anyway??

No comments: