Saturday, June 12, 2010

Camp for a Day

On Friday morning I took Elina and Eli to Elina's school for camp classes for the morning. Elina took a Fairy Fun class (with her teacher's assistant, Ms. L.) and Eli took a Little Fish class. Eli's class was only until 10:30am, but to keep my sanity we paid extra to let the school keep him for the Stay and Play part (like daycare) until 1pm so that I could pick the kids up together. This meant that both kids needed to bring lunch so I had to pack 2 lunches and 2 backpacks in the morning.

I have to admit that I was getting a little choked up when I put the backpack on Eli and when I handed him his lunch bag. It was the first time I was sending him to something for that long. I couldn't imagine him sitting at a table eating lunch with other kids. He's still so little! I'm definitely not ready to send him off to a Mother's Day Out program or anything just yet. I need my little Eli with me for a few more years. (Call me selfish, but they're only little for so long...and the time flies right by!)

Elina was a little sad that she wouldn't be in the same class as Eli. She even shed some tears. I asked her why she was so sad and she said, "Because I want Eli in my class. He's the best little brother." (Again, I got choked up.)

So that morning I had a little one-on-one time with Evie and even some actual alone time while she took a nap. It was a nice morning.

When I went to pick up the kids, all the teachers told me how well Eli did and how much he loved doing everything. That kid is definitely ready for a school setting (but I still won't send him for selfish reasons). I mean, when I took him into his classroom, he barely turned around to wave bye to me. Ms. L. said that during the entire school year he wanted to stay and play in Elina's class whenever I dropped her off or picked her up, so Eli was probably pretty excited that he could stay for once! Eli's Little Fish teacher (Ms. M) said that Eli was a really good boy. He participated in everything, was really engaged, and even played with other kids. I was so happy that he did so well. Elina would not have been like this at this age. She was definitely more of a scaredy cat.

Anyway, both kids had a great time making crafts and playing with friends. Maybe I'll have to sign them up for another Friday of fun without their mom.

No comments: