Friday, June 25, 2010

2 Peas in a Pod

I seriously love these kids. They're so cute and lovable. They have been such good sports ever since Evie arrived. They love on her, look for her, coo at her, and often try to help me soothe her. However, most of the time I have to soothe the baby by rocking her or doing squats and lunges. I usually do all this in the master bathroom with the bathroom fan on while Elina and Eli play in the playroom (and everywhere else). Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it takes about 10 minutes to get the baby to go to sleep. Other times, it can take 20-30 minutes. Going into the master bathroom to rock the baby is like entering a time warp. By the time I make it out alive, I have no idea where the kids are and what they have done. Fortunately, Elina is a good rule-follower (and rule-giver) so I know they haven't gotten into too much trouble. Honestly, these days I just let them do whatever. I can't control what they do when I vanish into thin air for half an hour. So I just go with it and hope for the best. They never complain that I've been gone too long or anything. And they know not to enter the master bathroom while I'm rocking Evie...unless one of them is bleeding. They're so good together. Even though they look similar, they have their differences (namely, their personalities), but they have been so great about the whole rocking/soothing routine...that's why I love these 2!

But then the other day, it was just me, Eli, and Evie at home. I went into my time warp while Eli played by himself. Well, his big sis wasn't there to keep him in check. So when I came out, I discovered that he had drawn on my wall with marker (luckily, it was a washable marker) and he had taken one of Elina's window clings off the window and ripped it to shreds. I made him clean up the marker and reminded him about the rules, but honestly, I couldn't get that mad. What do I expect if I vanish for half an hour while a 2 1/2 year old boy is running around free in my house? I'm lucky my house wasn't burned down.

Anyway, I just thought I would post about how much more I love Elina and Eli these days. They're incredibly understanding and patient about the whole new crying/screaming situation. And I'm so thankful they play so well together while I'm missing in action!

No comments: