Well, AJ's birthday is actually on St. Patrick's Day, so that was a no-brainer. But we kind of stumbled upon celebrating Pi Day with AJ and her husband, RJ. It was so weird because I was mentioning to B that we don't really have any friends to celebrate Pi Day with (not since KT and her family left us)....no one who will actually take it seriously. Not that we're THAT nerdy, but it's just fun to celebrate with people who try to memorize as many digits of pi as they can. Wait, that DOES sound pretty nerdy. Anyway, not the point of the story....
So a few days after I had this conversation with B, I also talked to AJ about it too....not really thinking anything of it. But then she mentioned that RJ is a big nerd, too...how he was a biomedical engineer and he actually has math joke t-shirts. Oooooooohhhhh. This was such a huge find because we are always looking for fellow nerds. That's how we decided to celebrate 3 things on one day with AJ and her family. Yay!
We decided that I would bring the desserts--birthday cake and pie, while AJ took care of dinner. I volunteered to make AJ's cake because I've been wanting to make this rainbow cake for someone, but have never got around to it. I figured a St. Patrick's Day birthday was the best reason to try it out!
Boy, this cake was definitely some work. It was just time consuming to bake 2 layers 3 times. Other than that, it wasn't too bad. I'm so glad that my friend LW taught me how to ice cakes. It wasn't flawless (I should have made more icing!), but it was better than I had expected considering I haven't iced a layered cake in a good while now. It didn't take me too long to ice the whole thing and it was actually fun. Usually when I ice cakes, I'm so nervous and constantly hold my breath. This time I really enjoyed myself because I felt like I knew what I was doing.
Then I finished it all off with some rainbow skittles and mini-marshmallows.
Honestly, the most difficult thing about making this cake was getting things done while managing Eulee. B was nice enough to take the older kids out that day, but Eulee decided she didn't want to take good naps so I was stuck with a baby who loves to be held. Let me just openly admit that I let her cry in her exersaucer while I iced and layered each color. Gulp. But I picked her up right after I got the top red layer on. Eulee repaid me with a blowout though..."That's what you get for letting me cry in there, Mommy!" Message received.
The day before I had actually made rainbow cupcakes, too. They turned out beautifully this year with a new recipe, but they were even more time-consuming than the rainbow cake.
Since all the rainbow stuff was so labor intensive, I decided to simply purchase the pie for Pi Day. There was just no way I could make the pie on top of everything else.
We spent the late afternoon and night at AJ's house celebrating all 3 of these occasions. First the kids played while the adults chatted. Then they did a St. Patrick's Day craft. Then we had dinner (with a fruit rainbow) and the birthday cake.
We didn't tell anyone that the layers were rainbow-colored so when RJ cut into the cake and took out the first slice, everyone gasped. It was SO neat! It looked great against the white icing and everyone thought it was yummy.
Then the adults recited their pi digits. AJ said about 10 digits. Then I recited about 40 digits, which was a few more than RJ. So all that was left was B....he didn't break his record of 200 digits, but he still managed to get 120 digits of pi out. RJ said he is going to start practicing January 2014 for next year's Pi Day because he didn't know how serious we were about the holiday. He thought he'd have us with about 20 digits. Little did he know! Now he's on a mission.
This year's prize for the Pi Day winner was a dorky book called Math Jokes 4 Mathy Folks. RJ was so sad he didn't win. He kept flipping through the book and laughing....so when we were about to leave I told him to just hang onto the book since I see AJ all the time. He was so giddy about it! I think we've found the perfect people to celebrate this holiday with...
On St. Patrick's Day, I made the kids green eggs and I had them paint rainbow toast with dyed milk on bread. Everything came out so pretty!
The best part was that I dyed the toilet bowl water green in a few bathrooms. The kids thought that the leprechaun had made their pee turn green! It was so cute! Elina doesn't really believe in leprechauns, but she thought it was fun to play along.
We hope that everyone had a nerdy Pi Day and a fun St. Patrick's Day, too!



















2 comments:
Your cake was amazing. Way to frost like a pro!!! I can't believe we weren't your favorite pi day friends ;)! Come on. . .I made disgusting pie and could even remember more than 4 digits! That is good times. I am glad RJ has found his fellow math friends. Can't wait to see what you pull out for Easter.
Happy Pi day fellow nerds! :)
Post a Comment