Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Walking Dead

It's official.  I'm a zombie.

It's been 11 days since I've slept more than a 3 hour stretch.  So let's go back and review...

Twelve days ago Eulee and I were on the road to restful nights.  It's a beautiful, peaceful road.  Every couple of nights Eulee was making her sleeping stretches longer and longer.  We were getting into the 5 hour range...sometimes even 6 hours...and once even 7!  Everything was looking up...

Then it happened.

Eulee started waking up every 2 hours at night.  It was a nightmare.  Folks, when you are already on the road to restful nights, it's very very VERY difficult to do a u-turn and go back.  It's more painful to turn around than it is to find this road in the first place.  Trust me, you don't want to ever turn around.

For 11 days now, Eulee's been up about 3-4 (sometimes 5) times a night.  I am so exhausted that I'm almost delusional.  Not only does she wake up often, but then she's hard to put back down to sleep.  She does that tricky thing where she falls asleep and she lets you put her back into the bassinet....but then 4 minutes later, she'll stir and wake up and cry.  So you have to start all over again...with the rocking...and sometimes go back to nursing, then rocking.  She will rarely go back to sleep with just pure rocking.  She's just inconsolable, so I almost always end up nursing her back to sleep.  In the middle of the night, you just get desperate and do anything you can to get back to sleep.

At first we figured it was a growth spurt, but now it's just been too long.  So now we're back to survival mode.  We tried Tylenol last night because our pediatrician said it might be early teething (just gum changes, not actual teeth popping out), but she still woke up.  Soon we're going to try a bottle of formula...although we're not even sure she will take a bottle.  Plus, she's kinda chunky so I'm not sure she's really that hungry.

Anyway, things haven't been looking good over here for the past 11 days now.  And I can already feel 2 canker sores trying to make their way to the surface.  I'm so tired that I even forgot about Eli's parent-teacher conference today!  That has never happened to me before.  This school year I am not on top of my game at all.  What can I say?  Sleep is important!  So wish us luck.  We're hoping this will get better.  It has to, right?  I just hope I can go down that lovely road again sometime soon...I miss it.

2 comments:

Kimberli said...

So sorry its been rough. :( Crossing my fingers for you that things will get better... good luck!

Sure miss you guys!

TOVAR said...

Horrible!! I bet you are feeling delusional. Not that you asked, but here is what I would do---put her up in that extra room and let her go to town. (of course after you make sure she isn't hungry or poopy or what not). I know that sounds awful, but falling asleep while driving a car is pretty awful too. Does she calm down when you hold her on her belly? Mia seemed to calm down when we would do that. May be if you weren't so awesome your kids wouldn't want to be around you so much. Good luck.