Friday, March 18, 2011

Rainbows and Green Everywhere!

St. Patrick's Day was full of fun this year!

First the kids woke up and had to follow a ribbon rainbow to their little "pot of gold." This was an idea I got from my friend KL. I tied a red ribbon to an orange ribbon to a yellow ribbon and so on. Then I had it lead from their bedroom door to the location of their gold. For their "pot of gold," I wrapped up their green shirts but I didn't have any "pot of gold" treats on hand. The night before I dug through my pantry and found Easter colored chocolate-covered sunflower seeds...oh well, they didn't really care that it was irrelevant to St. Patrick's Day. They just cared that it was a treat. Phew!
Then the kids had the usual green breakfast...green eggs, green milk, and painted green toast. They used green milk to paint their bread, then I put it in the toaster oven, and voila...green toast! The kids love painting their own toast and it's super easy to do.

That morning we went to RT house for a St. Patrick's Day party in her backyard. There were lots of kids dressed in green. Cute!
RT did a great job. The kids learned how to act like leprechauns (kicking their feet in mid-air), got St. Patty's Day face-painting done, hunted for coins, and then drew leprechaun homes with chalk.

Unfortunately, my kids didn't use the chalk at all because they were too mesmerized with all the roly-polies on the ground that cloudy, cool morning. Of course!

Then later in the day we went to Morgan's Wonderland with Elina's good friend from school, A. We spent 5 hours there and had a blast. It was great except that it was hard to keep an eye on the kids at times because EVERY KID was wearing green! I love that on St. Patrick's Day everyone really wears green. Not everyone wears red on Valentine's Day or orange on Halloween...but on St. Patty's Day everyone seems to own a green shirt! Love it!
Unfortunately, I didn't do a green dinner this year. All I could manage was green jello for dessert (thanks, KL!). The kids didn't seem to mind though.

I think I didn't have any more green left in me by that night because during the days leading up to the holiday, I did a lot of rainbow stuff with the kids. First we made rainbow pudding and then we made rainbow cupcakes. Both were great fun and we'll definitely be making these things again next year!
We hope that everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day with rainbows and pots of gold!

No comments: