We took Aunt P and Uncle B to the Wildlife Safari because that's one of the kids' favorite spots. We also took them to eat at a few yummy places in town. Of course we had great Mexican food...and I discovered the deliciousness that is queso flameado. It's this delectable dish of melted white cheese mixed with chiles and chorizo that is so rich and thick a tortilla chip cannot spoon it up...instead you have to use a tortilla to scoop up a heavenly bite. I'm probably over-selling it, but it really is a great appetizer and I'm sad I discovered it so late in life. It's so yummy, but so terrible for you. I love it!Besides those few outings, we spent a lot of time at the house...cooking and playing. I came up
Hmmmmm...did you notice that I didn't mention the turkey?? Well, this year one of J's close friends (who also came over for dinner) suggested that we take our turkey to Popeye's to have it deep fried with their seasonings. Normally, I wouldn't have been into doing something like that, but (1) B loves Popeye's chicken, (2) we've never had fried turkey, and (3) I loved the idea of having my oven free to make my other sides! Well, the turkey was delicious, so I think we might be doing this again next year. It was so nice to not have to worry about the turkey.
So on Turkey Day we just stayed at home and cooked, watched the parade, and played Wii, Turkey Bingo, and board games. The kids played Guesstures (a fast-paced version of charades) with all of us and they had lots of fun. Eli wasn't too great at it, but Elina was really into it. She has these over-the-top facial expressions that made it so funny. She's so literal, too. One of her words was "CD" and she actually tried to be the CD. She got on the floor, laid on her side, and started spinning around on the floor! Too funny!
Usually before our Thanksgiving dinner we each talk about something we're thankful for, but this year we changed things up. We each got 2 sheets of paper and had to write down something we're thankful for and something we're un-thankful for. The only rule was that we couldn't be thankful for family, friends, and health because those are always given. We got some really great answers. Some good thankful ones were Popeye's (B's), waking up late (J's), baby carriers (mine), and a job (Uncle B's). Some un-thankful winners were non-consumed birds (B's) and speeding tickets (Uncle B's). But the best un-thankful one was written by Elina. She wrote, "I am un-thankful for bad things." Wasn't that clever??Of course we did our Tom the Turkey Thanksgiving countdown again this year, but this time Eli got to have his own turkey. Eli still doesn't understand the question, "What are you thankful for," so we had to ask him in a different way, "What makes you happy?" He always gave the same answers and we had to keep giving him choices, so I'm not sure how accurate his turkey is. He always started with, "Tyrannosaurus Rex" and after some prodding he would list all the other dinosaurs he liked. It wasn't easy, but we managed to fill in his turkey with some responses. Elina, on the other hand, filled in her own turkey. Jewelry was definitely on the top of her list--necklaces, jewels, rings. What a girly girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment