Saturday, January 23, 2010

Special Snack Days

For Elina's school, each kid is asked to provide special snacks 2-3 times during the school year. One of the days should be for the birthday or half-birthday and the rest can be random dates throughout the year. In addition, I'm one of the two room parents for the classroom. One of my duties is to provide snacks and other things for other special occasions (teachers' birthdays, etc.). I kind of like these random little snack days because it gives me an excuse to work on my creativity.

My first special snack day was towards the beginning of the year, so I had made cheesesticks into pencils with bugle/raisin tips and bologna erasers. Then for Mrs. B's baby shower snack, I made cupcakes into sleeping baby faces with bottles in their mouths. Unfortunately, I did not think ahead and take pictures of these cute snacks--if you can believe it!

Unfortunately, I was kind of lazy for Elina's half-birthday and went out and bought a cake and cut it in half. I know, I know, but I was really tired that night and in no mood to bake.

My latest venture was for Mrs. B's half-birthday last week. I made cupcakes look like little red and green apples. I must say that they turned out quite cute and weren't that hard to make. I used half of a pretzel stick for the stem and I cut out leaf shapes from sour apple belts. (I got the idea from one of Martha Stewart's cupcake books.)

Anyway, I just think it's funny because these special snack days create more work for me, but in the end I almost welcome them because it makes me do something fun and creative! Who knew?