
On Christmas Day, the kids were up at their usual time ready to open presents, but we always have to wait until my parents finally crawl out of bed in order to start the Christmas festivities. The kids woke them up earlier than usual (9:30am) because they couldn't wait any longer, so we started opening gifts a little before 10am.

For the gift roundup, Elina's favorite present was her "car with 2 seats" (more on that later) and Eli's was a kitchen set from A that included a toaster (with toast that pops up), a coffeemaker (that "brews" and "drips" water), and a blender (that "blends" water). Lots of cleaning up, but lots of fun....and actually, both Elina and Eli enjoy this set! So I guess the real winners were the toys that both the kids could enjoy together. Go figure!
After the presents, we took the traditional lying-in-the-wrapping-paper picture and then we all enjoyed a new breakfast that J and I worked on the night before. Every year we do a big breakfast casserole, but this year I wanted to try out a new one. We had a yummy breakfast strata with sausage and mushrooms from my Test Kitchen cookbook. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it ended up being delicious. Definitely a keeper, especially for Christmas.
One of the big presents for the kids this year was the famous "car with 2 seats" that Elina has been asking for for the past few months. She is referring to the Power Wheels Jeep. She's beenUs: We have a surprise outside for you. Are you excited?
Elina: Yes! Is it something for both me and Eli?
Us: Yes, it is.
Elina: Is it something we can ride in?
At this point we are just laughing and laughing because she totally knows what she's going to see once she gets outside. See, honestly, I blame Bass Pro Shops Santa for this. Remember in my "Christmas Prep" post? I wrote that Elina told me that Santa said ok when she asked for the car with 2 seats. When I heard that, I was a little shocked. What if we weren't going to get it for them? Well, the night before Christmas I had this conversation with Elina:
Me: So, tomorrow is Christmas. You must be very excited. What do you think you're going to get as gifts? What are you hoping for?
Elina: A car with 2 seats!
Me: Elina, what if you don't get a car with 2 seats? You know, the car is very expensive.
Elina: But...Santa said I could get the car...since I was good.
Me: But, Elina, sometimes we don't get what we always want...even if we ARE good.
Elina: But...he said so... [starting to look sad]
Me: [trying to change the subject] Ok, ok, we'll see what happens...what else are you hoping for?
See, this is why I don't think Santa should say stuff like that. I mean, I appreciate that he's trying to make little children happy, but it might not make the kids so happy if Mommy and Daddy can't cough up the gifts! Am I being a humbug? I just don't think it's in Santa's best interest to guarantee things like that. Maybe it's just me.
So, back to the "car with 2 seats"...Elina drove Eli around for awhile. Eli was speechless and Elina was having a great time being in charge.
Here is when Elina and Eli were "surprised" with the car--
Here are the kids cruising around--
The rest of the day was just spent playing with new toys, playing Wii with Elina, and relaxing around the house. We played the new Toy Story Mania game that A bought for B. We wanted this game badly because it's based off of one of our favorite Disney rides that we just went on last month. At the end of each little game, it makes the players shake and wave their controllers like crazy. So we got some hilarious video of us playing the game.
Then my parents, A, Elina, and Eli made homemade dumplings for dinner. Elina LOVES to help
Here's video footage of the kids at work with Ah-gong--
This second video is of A helping with the dumpling dough...apparently, she wants to make a dumpling pizza--
The night after Christmas we had a big dinner with turkey breast, gravy, veggies, potato salad, spaghetti, and a marscapone and citrus berry tarte. Sounds delicious, doesn't it? For the turkey breast and gravy I used my Test Kitchen recipe book and they all came out better than they ever have. I have to thank KT for the turkey coming out well though because she lent me her v-rack, which I think helped tremendously. I really need to go out and buy a v-rack now.
I had also been meaning to try out the tarte recipe ever since KT posted about it on her blog. It's a beautiful dessert and I thought the colors would be great for Christmas. Not only was it pretty to look at, but it was yummy and light as well. Although the kids didn't like it all that much. I think they prefer chocolate-based desserts. I hate to admit it, but J and I had to make the dessert twice. The first time we whipped the cream and marscapone for too long and it separated....it was really ugly stuff. So we sent B out to get more cream (the nice guy that he is) and we made it a second time and it came out perfectly. Live and learn, I guess.I guess Christmas was sort of a 2-day celebration this year. Lots of fun and relaxing...so no complaints here! Hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday, too!
3 comments:
you are laughing at the end of all the videos!! control that laughter!
"I just don't think it's in Santa's best interest to guarantee things like that. Maybe it's just me."
...is that a threat? :) Ya'll're just lucky she didn't ask for a real live pony
oh MAN how fun would it have been to have Sean and Elina cruising circles around each other in the Jeep?!? well, she would have hated it but Sean would have had fun ;) I miss you guys! Happy New Year :)
XOXO, E
Post a Comment