Saturday, December 9, 2017

Could That Really Be Snow???

On December 7, 2017, something amazing happened here in San Antonio...

WE GOT SNOW!

Not the kind we usually get...the light dusting of snow that doesn't stick...that taunts us and makes us wish for snowstorms.  I'm talking about huge snowflakes like this city hasn't seen in decades.  It was such good snow, too!  Really sticky for great snowballs.  In reality we only got about 2 inches of snow, but it was enough to make us all giddy.
We let the kids stay up til 11pm playing in the snow.  They made so many snowmen.  It was amazing how they could really push a little ball of snow and turn it into something huge!  The next door neighbors joined us and made a decent 5 foot tall snowman.  It was awesome!
The whole night we were praying for a snow day but it didn't happen!  Not even a delayed start!  But we let the kids go to school late so they could play in the snow some more that next morning.  I mean, it's not going to happen again for a long time, so why not?  Plus, the weather was supposed to warm up to 50F (crazy Texas weather), so we knew all the snow would be gone when they got home from school.  We took great pictures that morning and the kids just loved it all.  What a fun surprise!  Our backyard looked so beautiful...brought back memories of Canyonlands when it gets just a light layer of snow.  Ahhhhhh...we just soaked it all in!!

If I could do it over again, I would've just let them all stay home the entire day to enjoy the snow.  But I was struggling with it because we had just gotten back from Thanksgiving break and Christmas break was right around the corner.  Silly Mommy, school still doesn't really count yet!  Next time I'll just go with my gut.

This happened the day after Eli's birthday and we all agreed it was the best birthday present yet!  What a great start to winter! 

No comments: