Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Elina's First Literature Celebration

Elina and Eli's new school has been so wonderful so far.  It's definitely a change, but we have all adjusted well.  One big change is that there are no holiday celebrations at school.  Instead each grade level has celebrations after finishing big books or big units.  Originally I was a little bummed about all this (who doesn't like Winter parties??), but then I helped with our first 5th grade literature celebration and I had the best time!

Elina finished reading C.S. Lewis' Voyage of the Dawn Treader and she absolutely loved it.  We celebrated with everything Dawn Treader.  One classroom was the craft room, which we called The Very End of the World.  Here the kids could put together a paper version of the Dawn Treader ship.
Another classroom was the game room called The Lone Islands, where we had lots of chess boards set up, since Reepicheep played chess.
The last classroom (where I worked) was the food room called Aslan's Table.  We had beef jerky, scones, Eton mess (delicious mixture of Cool Whip, sugar, crushed up meringue cookies, and strawberries!), and grapes.  We even had Drinkable Light (sparkling cider)!  Elina also made a stone knife for the table.
Another room parent and I also put together these cute favor bags for the kids.  We tried to put all Dawn-Treader-related items in...a feather, a little sword, some gold coins, star stickers.  The thing that took the most time was Eustace's gold cuff.  I wrapped gold duct tape around empty toilet paper rolls, then B cut the cuffs out.  We had to cut out 90 of these things...I swear B had a claw for a hand after all that work.  He is such a trooper!
And the other room parent had bruises on her fingers from cutting out the Dawn Treader craft.  That whole week we all stayed up late every night or woke up early in the morning to work on this celebration.

The other thing that took awhile were the origami white lilies that I made.  I wanted to make 90 so that each child could take one home, but I just didn't have enough time.  So I made as many as I could and we spread them out around in the hallways by the doors.

In the end it was all worth it!  The kids had so much fun and I loved meeting all of them.  Eli might be having a Greek celebration soon since 2nd grade is finishing up their Ancient Greece unit.  Exciting!  He already can't wait!

No comments: