Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Our First Mother-Daughter Camp Out

This year, Elina decided she wanted to give the Girl Scouts a try.  I'm not sure she really understands what it's all about, but she really enjoys spending extra time with some of her friends from school.  For me, it's a way to get to know some of the other parents.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Over Veterans Day weekend, a few Girl Scout troops got together for a camp out at Camp Flaming Arrow in Hunt, Texas.  Elina and I were both excited to go because it was a 2-night event.  We were going to stay in bunk beds in a cabin with other people in our troop.  Honestly, Elina wasn't as thrilled about the cabin.  She wanted to stay in a tent with only me, and not in a cabin with a whole bunch of other people.  I reassured her that it would still be a fun time.

On the Friday that we were going camping, all the third grade classes had an all-day field trip to the Witte Museum.  I got our babysitter to watch the other kids just so I could chaperone and be with Elina.  As the day went on, I noticed that Elina was looking really run-down and she was being awfully quiet.  At the end of the field trip she told me that she wasn't feeling well at all (she had been home sick earlier in the week).  After thinking it over, we decided not to go camping that night.  I gave Elina medicine and she went to bed at 7:30pm (unheard of!) and I hoped for the best for the next morning....

Well, Elina woke up 12 hours later and she was ready to go!  We drove up to the camp and met up with the other girls in the troop.  It was an action-packed weekend!

First Elina did some horseback riding.  She was so excited to ride a real horse and not a pony!  Her horse's name was ___.  After the girls learned the basics, they went on a trail ride.  They had lots of fun!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Then the girls learned to shoot BB guns.  I have to admit that this was Elina's least favorite activity.  The guns were big and they were difficult to cock.  Plus, she said the BBs were so tiny that she never knew where they ended up.  She probably shot 20 BBs...and she actually hit the target with one!  I was so proud of her because I didn't even expect that much!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
After that, the girls had troop time to work on badges.  We did activities towards earning an Our Senses badge, a My Best Self badge, and a Hiker badge.  They played games using only one sense at a time.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
  And they had to put down trail markers on a path.  My favorite trail marker was "danger" because they actually put it next to a tarantula we had found earlier in the day!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Then the girls had Craft Time where they made starts out of sticks they found.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Then Elina had the best time doing some ziplining.  I must say, she is way braver than I am...or was when I was her age.  She just climbed right up the ladder and the pole.  Then she just went down the zipline, just like that!  Two of the girls didn't even bother trying it because they were so scared.  And 3 other girls climbed up halfway, couldn't go through with it, and came back down crying.  It was really sad to watch.  Elina, on the other hand, kept telling me, "I wish it were higher!  I wish it were longer!"  She is definitely B's child!  I was so proud of her!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

That night we had a huge campfire where different troops performed songs and skits.  The staff also did fun "echo" songs that we are still singing at home!  We also got to roast marshmallows and eat s'mores.  What a great day!

Back in the cabins, the girls stayed up doing funny Mad Libs while the moms got ready for bed.  Elina and I are both light sleepers and we both tossed and turned for about an hour before we fell asleep.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The next morning, the girls did some archery after breakfast.  Elina really enjoyed this activity, too!  We got the kids a bow and arrow over the summer and it didn't quite "take."  But after she did it a few times at the camp, she fell in love with it.  She pretty well and hit the target a few times.  Go, Elina!
Then we did a hike up to Mount Vesper, which is the little mountain at the camp.  It was really steep going up, but the view on the top was beautiful.  The Guadalupe River runs through the town and the leaves were changing colors.  We loved it!

Then we cleaned up the cabins and headed home.  We had an amazing time together at the camp.  I just wished they had let the adults participate in the activities.  I really wanted to do the ziplining, archery, and the BB guns!  It was a nice break to also just be with one child.  We really enjoyed each other's company and actually got to talk to one another.  It was definitely refreshing...and I can't wait for more mother-daughter things like this!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So what were B and the other kids up to?  B was actually brave and took the 3 kids to the zoo for a few hours.  He even texted me pictures for proof...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then they even went out to dinner that night!  I was really impressed.  Taking 3 kids out to eat solo does not appeal to me whatsoever!  What a fun dad!

No comments: