Saturday, July 6, 2013

Our 10th on the 4th

We had a lot of fun for the 4th this year.  We took a trip up to Austin because it was our 10th anniversary and because J was having a cookout at her house.

But first, we had to make a stop at the Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo.  This place is right off the Interstate on the way to Austin, about 30 minutes away.  Every time we pass by it, I say, " We should stop there one day."  We've lived here for over 7 years and we still haven't stopped in!!  So I took matters into my own hands and told B that we were stopping there on the way to Austin.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I had heard that it is hot and smelly, but totally worth the stop.  Actually, it wasn't as smelly as we had expected it to be (based on all the reviews).  Maybe we were prepared for something worse.  They had lots of cool snakes...even huge anacondas and pythons...some really poisonous ones, too.  Then we went to the "Animal World" out back.  They had the most random animals back there...capybara (one of our fave nocturnal creatures), pygmy marmosets, a groundhog, mountain lion, a gray wolf (?!?!?)...it was really neat.  Then we stopped at the petting zoo.  I think I need to stop going to petting zoos.  Those animals are just way too aggressive.  It freaks out the kids AND it freaks me out as well!

We all agreed that it was a great hour-long stop....lots to see.  BUT we probably wouldn't go back anytime soon because it's rather pricey.  I'm glad we got to stop in though!

Our first stop in Austin was Sno-Beach!  We can't resist these airy, light, yummy sno-cones!  Eulee had her first bite of Sno-Beach and she was in heaven!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

For the 4th, we ate lots of yummy food all decked out with red, white and blue little decorations.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After our meal, we all played Minute to Win It games.  We played a lot of the ones from our little End-of-the-Year party.  
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
But we also added a fun one where you tie an empty tissue box filled with ping pong balls to your waist.  Then you have to shake your bottom any way you can to empty the box.  This was the funniest thing ever!  I have to say it was my favorite game.  Lots of fun and lots of laughs!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After this, the kids did the Mentos and Diet Coke experiment with V.  They thought it was so neat that a little Mentos could make the soda fizz up like that!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Then J watched the kids while B and I went out on a little date for our anniversary...can you believe that we've been married for 10 years?!?  Since we were so full from the cookout, we opted to go to Gourdough's to get gourmet donuts.  Yes, gourmet donuts.  I got one with Nutella, strawberries, and cinnamon sugar.  Yum!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

That night J took the 2 older kids out to watch some fireworks.  Of course they liked staying up to watch the fireworks!  Yes, the fireworks are THAT far away from the kids.  This is the distance that they like...they don't like being up close and personal with fireworks.  They complain that it's too loud and scary.  Luckily, places this far away usually aren't especially crowded.  So I guess it's ok.

This was a great 4th of July.  I think we'll have to start making Minute to Win It games an annual thing.  They are just too fun...and funny!

This trip we also took the kids to a new rock and crystal shop.  This place was AWESOME and GIGANTIC!  The kids were in heaven.

Elina used her money to buy a "crystal" ball.  Eli used his money to buy a collection of prehistoric shark teeth.  And Evie bought some pretty rocks.  Eli and Evie enjoyed some meditation time as well.

When we first got married, B and I had said that on the decade anniversaries, we would take a big trip.  It kind of didn't work out for us this year since I'm still nursing Eulee.  So we'll have to postpone our trip for next year.  Hopefully we'll really be able to take one!  So even though we didn't get a grand trip this year, at least we got some gourmet doughnuts...and this wonderful picture courtesy of Elina.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It's definitely been an adventurous decade so far!

1 comment:

Kimberli said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had a great day and a great 4th as well. I loved the kleenex box shake pics! :)