1. I just completely weaned Evie after a year, so I needed to reward myself a little. The last time I weaned Eli, I was rewarded with a trip to Boston to see friends. (I know, my husband is very nice.)
2. One of my closest friends, S, recently ended a really long relationship and had been a bit sad so I thought she could use a good distraction.

I also hit my fave museum while I was in town--the Museum of Natural History. I think the science-y side of me just loves this museum. I don't visit the Met or the MOMA often, but the Museum of Natural History is always a must for me. My favorite room is definitely the Hall of Minerals. It's my inner geological engineer coming through.
I even managed to do a little bit of shopping during my visit. (Thanks, S, for carrying my heavy backpack while I tried on clothes! What a great friend!)Besides these 2 places, all the other things I did involved food. I ate an amazing Neapolitan Regina Margherita pizza at Keste Pizzeria, where I kinda felt like I was in Italy because not only did the owners speak Italian, but so did most of the customers. Then I had yummy Latino food from Malecon (which AG and I took to Bryant Park to enjoy). I also had dim sum in Chinatown, gelato on a stick from Popbar (hazelnut chocolate dipped in almonds), and doughnuts from Doughnut Plant (I brought home a box just for J as per her request).
I was also fortunate enough to have 2 great dinners at 2 Top Chef restaurants. I'm in the midst of watching Top Chef Masters, so I had asked S if we could hit a few during my visit. Luckily, S is as cheesy as I am, so she agreed to take me. The first place was Thai food at Harold Dieterle's Kin Shop. Everything tasted delicious, especially the goat curry (it's supposed to be the best goat in NYC). Then S and I treated ourselves to the tasting menu at George Mendes' restaurant, Aldea. It was amazing! The most memorable courses were the palate cleansers (which were usually refreshing sorbets), the arroz de pato (the duck and rice were cooked to perfection!!), and the dessert was the best dessert I've had in my life. Seriously. It was this banana creme brulee with chicory ice cream (kind of dark chocolate, kind of coffee tasting), and these cocoa crispy-like things. Everything on this plate was delicious and went so well together....the textures, the flavors...amazing. S and I kept scraping our plates with our forks to get every last bite. S said that if we were at home, she would lick that plate clean. I have to admit that I would do the same thing as well. I could have eaten 5 servings of that dessert. I will definitely go back just for the dessert!Before I left for my trip, Elina's school had their annual Muffins for Moms one morning. I took all 3 kids and we enjoyed some yummy muffins together.
Then for their homemade Mother's Day gift, everyone made homemade paper in the shape of a sun. It was awesome.
Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful moms out there!! (And thanks to S for taking me everywhere and for housing me! S and AG, we'll have to get together again soon!! Miss you guys!)
1 comment:
Happy Mother's Day! It looks like you had a wonderful weekend. The flowers are beautiful and after reading about all that yummy food... I'm starving!
Love ya!
Post a Comment