Me: Elina, do you want to go to an art camp?
Elina: Yes!!
Me: Do you want to learn to draw people or animals? [thinking she'd pick people because she's always drawing people]
Elina: [after some deep consideration] Animals.
Me: [surprised] Why? I thought you like to draw people.
Elina: [matter-of-factly] I do like to draw people. But, Mommy, I'm already good at drawing people. I don't really know how to draw animals.
Funny, right? I guess she knows her own strengths and weaknesses.
This week Elina has had so much fun and has learned how to do a lot of things. She worked with earth clay, made a sock bunny, made a duck from a rock, and made a snake with foil. She drew a toucan, a bear, and a few rats. The teacher brought in her pet rat (the rat was supposed to be food for her pet snake, but the snake ended up befriending the rat and wouldn't eat him--funny, right?) and Elina was in heaven. After seeing the movie "Ratatouille," Elina thinks rats are so cute. So she pet the rat and let it crawl all over her. She loved every minute of it (even though it gives me goose bumps thinking about it).
Here are her 3 drawings of rats. Lulu is the "real rat" that she drew. Swiper is the fox from Dora the Explorer (I think she thinks that Swiper is a rat for some reason.) And the third "rat" is Maisy (who is actually a mouse).
Here is Elina's drawing of a brown bear, her duck made with a rock, and her foil snake.
Here is a butterfly using comb painting, an elephant made from tissue paper squares and glue, an "I love art" sign she made with glue and glitter, and 3 kitten heads she decorated. I love that the kitten on the left has a popsicle stick body and is holding a tiny wand.
Elina's favorite creation was definitely her duck. Can you tell she had a great time?
No comments:
Post a Comment