Monday, July 5, 2010

7 Years

This Fourth of July, B and I celebrated our 7th anniversary. 7 years and 3 kids...crazy, right? It's been a tiring, but fun 7 years so far. With these 3 kids, B and I always wish for more sleep and for more hours in a day, but we wouldn't have our lives any other way. The kids keep us busy, but we love them more than anything. We just can't believe 7 years have already flown by. I guess time flies when you're having fun and completely exhausted.Honestly, we didn't really do too much for our anniversary. I'm kind of on lock down since I have to nurse Evie every 3 hours or so. We decided to go to the Alamo Drafthouse to catch lunch and a movie. We love the Drafthouse because you can get both things done at once. We're all about efficiency, not romance these days. Sad. But it really works for us because it combines our 2 fave things--eating out and watching a movie.

J watched the kids for us and we went to see Toy Story 3. It was such a great movie because it was sad, funny, and scary. But we felt like it was really more for older kids and adults rather than little kids. We felt like a lot of the issues they dealt with were really heavy and more mature than what Elina could comprehend. I thought that some of the toys (e.g. Big Baby) and some of the scenes were kinda scary. But we totally thought Ken and Mr. Potato Head (as a tortilla) were absolutely hilarious. I also had tears in my eyes when Andy was talking about Woody at the end.

This movie really made me think of Elina and her relationships with her toys. Her Cuddlebunny is equivalent to Woody and her cat, Sally, is like Buzz Lightyear. The toys in our house get lots of love and lots of playtime. I loved watching those scenes where young Andy or Bonnie made up elaborate story lines for their toys. It's totally the way Elina plays with her toys right now. I love it.

Anyway, I got sidetracked...so that's basically all we did for our anniversary. J was nice enough to watch the kids while we went out to celebrate. It was simple, but it was time to ourselves.

For the actual Fourth of July holiday, we had dinner with some friends in the neighborhood. It was a simple get together to share some food and conversation while all the kids played together. I made the Marscapone and Citrus Berry Tarte I made for Christmas. This time I added blueberries with the raspberries so that they came out red, white, and blue. For the party I made the puff pastry into stars in order to be festive, but at home, I didn't bother cutting out any shapes (being the lazy lady that I am). Either way it was yummy!

We also had J take Elina out to watch the Sea World fireworks. They didn't actually go into the park. Instead they just parked at the nearby elementary school and watched it from there--which was just as good of a view, but with less of a crowd. Elina loved staying up late. She and J ate popcorn and popsicles while they watched the show. They had a great time!

So that was our Fourth in a nutshell. Nothing too elaborate, but totally fun for everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations guys! I am very happy for ya'll. How cliche is "it just seemed like yesterday?" But your guys' wedding really does seem that way. Could it have something to do with neither of you looking even one day older since then?

Kimberli said...

All of you look great in your red, white and blue! Sounds like your 4th was a great day and I wish I could have tasted your yummy pastry.

Btw, we took Lucy to Toy Story 3 and she thought it was great! She laughed so hard at the Jessie/Buzz dance scene! The "heavy" stuff must have gone over her head. I think I was more worried about the toys being melted into plastic than she was. :)

Miss all of you!