Has this ever happened to you? Someone says something to you that seems like a compliment, but after some careful thought you realize it's a semi-insult. This happened to me last week with B.
So let's start from the beginning....
KT and I carpool the girls to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Every other Tuesday we switch off and keep the girls for lunch and a craft/activity at our own houses until 2pm, so that the other mom can have a big chunk of time to do other things. With all the visitors we've had lately and all the errands I usually have to run, I haven't really enjoyed a long Tuesday without Elina in awhile. Last Tuesday was KT's turn with the girls and I didn't have anywhere far to go, so it was a nice, relaxing day with Eli. All we did was get Eli's haircut and run to the grocery store for a few things. After that we just took a walk and played at the house. And then KT was nice enough to keep Elina until 2:30pm to finish a craft.
Now let's get to the compliment/insult...
After dinner, the kids were playing in the playroom and we were sitting in there with them. I told B about my day and this was our conversation--
B: Oh, Elina wasn't with you today?
Me: No, KT kept her until 2:30pm.
B: No wonder you seem peppy today.
Me: [thinking it's a compliment...then after a minute of careful thought] What do you mean "peppy?"
B: Nothing...
Me: Do I normally seem tired?
B: Well...you just seem more "with it" today.
So basically, he was telling me "nicely" that I seemed more energetic and alive that day. It's funny because even though Elina is an easy preschooler to take care of, it's still exhausting. Sounds contradictory, doesn't it? Well, first of all, when she's home there's a constant stream of talking all day....which also means I'm constantly responding to her as well. Then when Eli goes down for a nap, Elina and I practice piano and practice reading. Then I put Elina in her room for 30 minutes so that I can eat lunch and relax a little. Afterwards, if Eli is still sleeping, I get Elina and then we read books or play games. See how it can be exhausting? Don't get me wrong though...I only accomplish this much with Elina on my good days. If it's not a good day, then I'll let her work on certain things alone. I definitely can't pull this off every day! But for the most part I try to do things with her because those are the things that can be difficult to do with Eli running around.
I think it's a pretty good excuse for not being "peppy" when my husband comes home from work, don't you? But I know what he's talking about though...it's definitely more easy to take care of one than it is two. Once #3 comes, I might never be peppy again! (I applaud all of you moms with 3 or more...I'll have to ask for advice when the time comes.)
No comments:
Post a Comment