Thursday, October 29, 2009

Last Day of Soccer

Today was Elina's last day of soccer. I don't think she was happy or sad that the season ended, but I think she had fun either way. I went to her first practice and after that B always took her. I decided to go watch her last practice because I wanted to see if she had improved any. She's not aggressive enough to go after the ball and get it from other people, but she's a good "team player" in that she'll just help you chase after the ball. For the most part, she'll chase after the ball (with a few reminders). But sometimes she was completely clueless as to where the ball was...even if it rolled right past her. I would point and shout, "Elina, get the ball! It's right there!" And she'd just look in the opposite direction. It's funny how oblivious kids can be sometimes. Eli also attended this last practice and I think he was more aware of where the ball was. But either way, I know that Elina has improved.


At the end of practice, the coaches had parents form a tunnel with their arms. Then the kids ran through the tunnel and gave their coaches high-5s at the end. It was so cute!


Then they had a little award ceremony where all the kids got a certificate and some Starburst for being "star" players. Elina was so excited to hear her coach call out her name. Usually the kids get popsicles after every practice because the weather's still been hot. Since it was the last day of soccer, they got special treats at the end--ice cream cones! Too bad it was freezing that day!! But the kids still ate the ice cream to their hearts' content. Kids will never pass up ice cream cones!! Here she is holding her ice cream while taking a picture with one of her coaches.

We're glad Elina got the chance to play soccer this year. I'm not sure she loves it though...maybe track and field is more her thing. She loves running, but I don't think she loves fighting for the ball. At least she got to run around and have some fun though!

No comments: