Monday, October 19, 2009

The Best Compliment in the Whole World

Today I took the kids with me to a doctor's appointment. This doctor has seen me over the years, so he's known me and Elina pre-Eli and post-Eli. I mean, it's never an ideal situation when I have to take both kids with me to an appointment, but honestly, when they're both there they aren't horrible. There's been no crying, whining, screaming, or complaining whenever we've gone. Certainly, things always take longer with kids in tow, but it's really not a nightmare for me. Whenever we go, the kids just play or sit and eat snacks. Like I said, nothing too awful.

At today's appointment, the kids were just quietly playing with a toy together. As the doctor was finishing up, this was the conversation we had--

DR: Ok, W, what's your secret?
Me: What secret?
DR: How do you get your kids to play so nicely and quietly together?
Me: Oh...I don't know.
DR: I have 3 kids and I have never seen them play like this. Usually at Elina's age they're always saying, "It's mine!" So, what's your secret?

Well, I didn't have a secret to divulge, so there aren't any answers here. I just told him that I think a lot of it has to do with their personalities. Elina is a people-pleaser and Eli is an easy-going guy who always wants to do what Elina does. I think over the past few months they have created their own balance. Elina always wants a playmate, so she knows that if she doesn't share her stuff then Eli won't stick around. And Eli wants to join in the "big kid" fun, so he knows not to grab stuff away from Elina or else she won't stick around either. It's weird, but in a good way.

But don't get me wrong...they're still kids. So there are days when I want to pull my hair out, when both kids are crying in my face, when Elina doesn't want to share, when Eli throws a tantrum, and when I want to actually lock myself in the bathroom for "me time." I'm not trying to toot my own horn or show-off my kids because they are definitely not perfect, but the compliment was enough to make me smile from ear to ear.

Isn't it strange that I consider this the best compliment in the whole world? I guess you won't think it's strange if you're a parent. No longer is the best compliment, "You look AMAZING in those jeans!" or "Have you lost weight?" Because I don't look great in "those" jeans anymore and I definitely have not lost weight since I've had children.

BUT I guess I do have some pretty well-behaved children!

No comments: