Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy (Kinda) Do-Nothing Day!

Father's Day was pretty uneventful for us. I asked B what he wanted to do over the weekend and he said he didn't really want to do anything. So there you have it.

B had a morning to himself where he ran errands on his own, got a smoothie (his favorite thing), did a little shopping, and hung out at a bookstore. This was one of our favorite pastimes before kids. We'd just hang out for hours flipping through books and magazines that we had no intention of purchasing. It was relaxing and fun. It's funny because on Mother's Day when I had a few hours to myself, I ended up at a bookstore as well!

While B was out of the house, Elina and I made cupcake cones. I got the recipe off of the Betty Crocker website. It's pretty easy, but I was amazed. You just pour the batter into the cones and it bakes inside the cones! After they cooled, we iced them to make them look like ice cream. Elina was in charge of putting the sprinkles on. The cake part was yummy, but the cone part...not so much. I definitely learned a lesson with these cupcake cones. You have to eat them the DAY you make them. The cones just don't hold up well the day after. They're stale and not yummy at all. So we ended up just tearing the cones off and eating the cake on the inside. Oh well. Live and learn. They were cute though! (Especially on the new "special day" plate we just bought, right?? I'll have to post about my great search for "the plate" some other time.)

Then we went out to dinner at PF Chang's because that's one of B's fave places to eat...and we definitely don't go often enough. After dinner we enjoyed some Amy's Ice Cream (kind of a local version of Cold Stone) and some window shopping. All in all, a relaxing time.

B also went on a father-daughter date with Elina. I think we'll make it a tradition for Father's Day from now on because they both had a good time. (Thanks for the idea, KT!) Elina has wanted to go paint her own pottery for awhile now, but I haven't had a chance to take her since it's not the type of place that will welcome the likes of Eli. So I suggested that B and Elina go paint pottery by themselves. Elina picked out a dinosaur and a little mosaic plate to paint. B didn't paint anything of his own...instead he just finished painting whatever Elina had leftover. B said that it was a relaxing time and Elina said she had lots of fun (check out how focused she was while she was painting!). After their hard work they rewarded themselves with smoothies.
See, earlier in the week I had asked B if he wanted to go anywhere special or do anything special for Father's Day. He said he didn't really want to do anything. B's idea of an awesome weekend is one where we stay in and just sit around the house and play with the kids. No packing the diaper bag to go somewhere...no rushing back for naptime...no big crowds of people. Just us...at home...doing nothing. Sounds nice.
Even though we still ended up doing some stuff, B said he had a great weekend. He had alone time and family time. So we kinda sorta did nothing, right?

No comments: