Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Changing It Up on My 35th Birthday

This week I celebrated my 35th birthday. I decided that I would change up my hair this year. I mean, I'm 35 and have been wearing my hair in a ponytail every day for about 10 years now...maybe even longer. I've been wearing a ponytail for so long that I have a permanent crease in my hair. I wanted to get the Brazilian Keratin treatment done on my hair so that I would want to wear my hair down more often. This treatment makes your hair look like you used a hair iron all the time...it looks smoother and less frizzy, and feels lighter. Even though I have straight Asian hair, it can still look a little frizzy...and that ponytail crease is hard to get out with a hair iron. Anyway, I found out that since I'm still nursing Evie I can't get this treatment done. So now I have to wait until April or so when I wean her. Oh well. For the time being, I still decided to change up my hair. I got 6 inches cut off, got some layers, and decided to start wearing my hair to the side. The haircut is cute and now that my hair is shorter and thinner, I'm more inclined to wear it down. That's definitely one of my New Year's Resolutions--to fight the urge to put my hair up in a ponytail all the time. So far it's been working. Since I've gotten the haircut I've been good about leaving it down for at least 1/3 of the day. And that ponytail crease has been easy to iron out if I need to put my hair down.

Besides my exciting haircut, I also took a few hours over the weekend to do a little shopping by myself. Then we had a big dinner with some friends at Red Robin so that I could claim my free birthday burger. Gotta love Red Robin!

On my actual birthday B took me out to breakfast with Eli and Evie. I can't possibly have a special day without eating my favorite meal of the day! I also managed to squeeze in a birthday nap on the couch...heaven! Elina and J also bought me a Birthday Princess pin to wear for the day (just in case you're wondering what that tacky thing is on my shirt).
Then B and the kids baked and decorated a cake for me. It was scary watching the kids pour on the colored sugars and sprinkles, but they had so much fun doing it. They were definitely proud of their work! (And the cake tasted yummy, too!)
I got lots of wonderful gifts...definitely a lot of kitchen-related stuff, which I love. Besides that, I also got a label maker, an enzyme exfoliator, and an iPad (thanks, Mom and Dad). Not too shabby, right?

For dinner, B took me to a nice restaurant called Roaring Fork. The portions were humongous and totally delicious. We had a great time eating and talking...and not sharing our food with little mouths. In the picture we are holding up our yummy dessert--a pineapple upside down cornmeal cake. I was skeptical at first, but it was great.

These days our birthdays are definitely not as exciting as the kids', but it's still a fun, relaxing time. It's a nice reason to eat an excessive amount of yummy food, get dressed up, be pampered, and feel loved and special all day.

1 comment:

Kimberli said...

Love the haircut! Looks like it was a wonderful day.

Miss you!