After that we enrolled Elina in the next level up. In the next level, the parents do not go into the water. It's just the instructor and a handful of kids. She did fine in the beginning, but she still wasn't interested in getting her face wet. Then the instructor dunked her without telling us about it. After he did this, she wouldn't get into the water anymore. She would just cry and sit on the side. It was frustrating, but we could understand why she was scared. I switched Elina to another class at another location where I could get into the water with her again. After some time (and some tears and screaming), she was ok in the water again--but only with a parent.
The lessons ended this past spring, so we backed off the swimming for the summer. Instead I would try to get her to do things in our bathtub. She would actually blow bubbles with her mouth and with her nose in the tub, so I knew she was making progress.
We went to a pool the last few weeks and I couldn't believe how brave Elina had become...all on
I know it doesn't sound like much to most of you, but we are SO proud of her. We have come such a looooooooooooooooooong way...lots of tears, whining, screaming, kicking...it's been an ugly road, but we can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel! We're so proud of Elina!
No comments:
Post a Comment