Tuesday, January 6, 2009

We're Going on a Safari

My parents visited us for Christmas for almost a week. During that time, I was trying to figure out some fun things to do with Elina and for my parents to do with Elina. We went to Dine with Shamu, to the zoo, to Windcrest (to see the lights again), and also to the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. I've been wanting to take Elina to the Wildlife Ranch for some time now, but I wanted to do it when it wasn't scorching hot out. See, you drive your car through this "safari." The animals come up to your car and you can feed them (with the feed they provide at the ticket booths). The safari was pretty fun.

We only had 2 complaints. First, some cars were really greedy. Greedy in the sense that they hogged up all the time with animals if the animals came up to their vehicle. I mean, there's a whole line of cars waiting to see the animals. Sometimes there would be enough of the same animal out, so everyone could get close, but at other times this wasn't the case. For example, a few zebras came out and this one car pretty much parked there and leisurely fed the zebras. By the time they decided to move on, the zebras went back into the brush. So only this one car got to see them up close. That was a real bummer because the zebras were only in this one small section.

That leads to my second complaint--there wasn't quite enough variety in the animals. There were SO many animals that looked like antelopes--springboks, gemsboks, whatever-boks. They all started to look the same. Even Elina was getting a little tired of looking at them.

But we still got to get up close and personal with a some cool animals, such as the bison and the ostrich. Here's a funny video of J feeding the bison. Notice how calm she is.

Here is video of my dad feeding the ostrich. I was so scared of the ostrich because it looked like it was pecking so hard. J took the video footage and she wanted me to make the ostrich stay, but I refused to put my hand out there. So you can hear me being a scaredy cat.
After the safari part we walked around the grounds and they had a few animals behind fences--peacocks, giraffes, and even a baby goat. It was adorable. We all had a great time and I definitely want to go back some day. Next time I'd like to go early enough to go through the safari part more than once.

1 comment:

Jen Yao said...

hahaha i love my video..that was definitely me, being calm :)